Back to Wednesday—we took another tour around the city after our lunch break with a guide who pointed out several significant buildings in the area. It was so neat to hear about the history of the buildings. Althoug
h the woman’s French was a bit difficult for me to understand at times, it was such a cool experience. My favorite part- a really old jail that has been transformed into a discotheque and some restaurants! So cool. (Left- Entrance to the discotheque)
h the woman’s French was a bit difficult for me to understand at times, it was such a cool experience. My favorite part- a really old jail that has been transformed into a discotheque and some restaurants! So cool. (Left- Entrance to the discotheque)We were on the tour with other students in the summer program who come from all over the world. It has been interesting to observe the differences that exist between us American students and the students who come from different countries. No offense fellow Americans, but in comparison to the students from other countries, American students seem to be a tad bit rude and annoying. So many students from America complain for hours on end about the required tours and the longs classes, speak in “Franglais” rather than try to improve their French, talk to each other while our professors are talking, and spend more time texting on their cell phones during class than they do attempting to learn. The students from Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and Poland, on the other hand seem much more disciplined and a lot more thankful for the opportunity they have to learn. For many Americans, I feel like the opportunity to study abroad is viewed as a vacation- do the least bit of work possible so as not to put a damper on one’s social life. I do not get the impression that the students from other countries feel the same way...
It was SO hot Wednesday night. We had a reception for all of the new students at the University at 6:00. Sarah and I decided to make our way back to Chantepie in attempt to de-sweatify ourselves before the reception. We made it back to the University just in time for the reception. At times, it is a kind of annoying to live so “far” away. Although we are really not too far, it takes about 30 minutes by bus and Metro to get to our town…whereas it takes everyone else from Villanova anywhere from 5-15 minutes to get home. Oh well, I can’t complain. Too much to be happy about : )
After the reception on Wednesday night, several of us went to the grocery store to pick up some food and drinks for dinner. We had a little picnic outside- so fun. I tried some French beer but it tasted like cough medicine and butterscotch…not a good combo. I declined the offer to have more after the first sip. We made our way to a pub in the historic area of Rennes and met up with some more Villanova students for Dr. Rigaud’s birthday party. Unfortunately, the birthday boy was unable to make it to his own party! It was supposed to rain that night, and in fear that the Metro would shut down again, he decided to stay in. Sarah’s mom is so sweet- Sarah and I took the Metro to the last stop and her mom picked us up to drive us home since the buses had stopped running. We talked for a while on the way home- she’s hysterical!
Thursday we had our first day of classes. I have friends in all my classes, which makes it really fun. I have been enjoying class immensely! I am so eager to get better at French- I want so badly to be able to speak fluently. Sarah, Serena and I try to speak French all the time, but we usually end up laughing a ton at something someone said. Today I had my language lab with Serena. We have to put on these huge headphones and speak into microphones. Before class started, Serena and I were sitting on the opposite ends of the room and both simultaneously thought that we looked like astronauts in our headpieces; we started to laugh so hard- really, could not control ourselves! I almost had to excuse myself as Serena tried to take a picture of me in the headphones. So funny.
Yesterday I had class until 6:15. Today, only until 4:15. I think my host mom and I are going to eat together tonight and maybe go for a walk through Chantepie or watch a movie. Last night, we ended up talking (me, in very broken French) for about two hours. She is too funny- laughs at me all the time, but not in a mean way. We talked a lot about Michael Jackson again…Tomorrow, all the students in the program are going on an excursion to Mt. St. Michel. I am SO excited (minus the fact that we have to get up super early!) Beacoup d’amour!
No comments:
Post a Comment