Sunday, July 26, 2009

First Day in St. Malo

Last night was fabulous. We ate a great dinner at the hotel we are staying at. I had a cheese puff appetizer, beef burgundy, a cheese plate after the main course and a delicious apricot pastry for dessert. The restaurant was so nice and I was pleasantly surprised to find that our waiters were very kind to us. (Patricia had told me that they weren’t going to feed us here because the waiters don’t like ‘young people’ and insisted on giving me loads of food before I left Rennes.)

After dinner, a few of us walked around the wall that surrounds the city to see the sunset. It was beyond beautiful. The tide gets very high during the evening so there was no beach. The rocks that we had hung out on earlier in the afternoon were completely submerged; only the peaks of the highest rocks were visible. It was honestly the kind of view that makes you get kind of emotional. I didn’t bring my camera, because I wanted to try to appreciate every minute rather than attempt to take tons of pictures. I think I will be returning tonight so I can take some pictures; although I am confident that even the best pictures will not do it justice.

After our walk, we wandered into the center of the city and found a little gelato place to grab a (second) dessert. I got raspberry sorbet. It was AMAZING because they shaped the ice cream into a rose on my cone! One of the girls took a picture- it was too cool. Shortly after devouring our delicious sorbet, we met up with some other Villanova students at a bar down the road from our hotel. We stayed for a while, but I was so tired!

This morning we ate breakfast at the hotel. It was fabulous. Fresh squeezed orange juice, croissants, yogurt, fruit, crepes, etc. It was one of the best hotel breakfasts I have had. Last night a girl named Daina and I discovered a beautiful cathedral down the street from our hotel. We decided to attend mass this morning and I am so happy we did! The cathedral was absolutely breathtaking; the music, too, was astonishing. Seriously, I had to hold back the tears during the beginning of the mass. It felt too amazing to be real!

After church Daina and I wandered around the center of the city for a little. We found a little café to eat lunch at. It wasn’t too expensive and I had one of the best sandwiches I have yet to have! I ended up meeting with some other girls and we bought tickets to go to Jersey tomorrow. Jersey is an island off the coast of England. I am so excited for tomorrow!

Off to celebrate Molly’s birthday. Dr. Rigaud bought a cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment