Thursday, July 16, 2009

a tad short, but hopefully sweet

Bonjour all. Today has been crazy. First off, I missed my bus in the morning. For normal students (aka those living in Rennes) this would be no big deal, as the metro comes every five seconds. For those of us living on the outskirts of town, the buses only like to visit every half hour or so. Long story short, I was fifteen minutes late to my first class. I had an amazing lunch, so I guess that makes up for the not-so-good parts of my morning. I went with Serena, Sarah, Kathleen and Matt to a café in Rennes. We all very much enjoyed our lunches/desserts!


My afternoon classes were okay. We had to work on a project this afternoon- we are assembling a newspaper for the summer program. Our computers decided to be lame and it took us about 34980394824 tries to finally get them to work. Not to mention, French keyboards are INSANE! I was getting so frustrated because all the keys are switched around. I kept thinking I was typing well, but then I would look at the screen and it would look like this: “K830*& k3IO028 jgqpdcnnn((00.” Needless to say, I got out of class late, took a later Metro than usual and, because of the delay, had to sprint/chase down my bus to avoid waiting another 30 minutes for the next one. Embarrassing? Kind of. Worth it? Of course.


I went for a run when I got home at 7:00 which helped to calm me down a bit. Patricia’s friend from the school she teaches at did a house-exchange with a woman from America. The American woman, Trisha, just arrived in France today. Patricia picked her up from the train station and found out it was her birthday, so as a surprise she thought it would be nice for us to bring her a bottle of Champaign after dinner. We went to her house around nine and she was indeed pleasantly surprised. Trisha does not speak any French…it felt so funny to have a conversation with her in English!


It turns out that Patricia’s son missed his train from Nice (he went there to see U2!) and he asked if she could pick him up from a train station an hour and a half away from Rennes. We consequently had to leave Trisha’s a bit sooner than we expected, so we postponed the birthday celebration until tomorrow night. She was very sweet and I am so excited to hang out with the both of them tomorrow. On Saturday, we are going to visit the market and a few other monuments in Rennes together!


Off to bed. Mucho love!

No comments:

Post a Comment