Yesterday was absolutely amazing—truly a day I will remember forever. We left fairly early in the morning from Rennes Universé II and everyone was super sleepy. Mont-Saint-Michel is about an hour-long bus ride from Rennes, but we stopped on the way there to learn about how fishermen harvest mussels from the ocean. None of us could have imagined the adventure that was before us at the fishery. The group of students in the program was split into two and we were each assigned a guide that spoke to us about the process of harvesting mussels. The beauty that surrounded us was truly amazing- behind us were the cutest little French houses, surrounding us was a large prairie-like area with tall grass and multiple different types of flowers and beyond the grass was my favorite- the ocean. We learned from our guide as we were standing on a road right behind the houses that the tide from day to day can vary by over a mile! Insane. We made our way into the tall grass, completely unaware that the plan was to walk all the way to the sea. Being that there was very low tide, we had to walk about a mile and a half. Did I mention that beyond the tall-grass was the exposed ocean floor? Aka for the next mile and a half, our feet were going to undergo the ultimate spa treatment- sea shells, fish poop, and clay up to our ankles. Obviously, everyone was told to take off their shoes. The mile and a half trek to the ocean was an interesting one. Everyone was ankle-deep in the ocean floor and when the clay hardened, we all looked like we had matching brown shoes on! We finally made it to the ocean and got to see how the mussels and fish were harvested. It was so cool/really pretty too! Because the tide changes so much, there are wooden planks in the ground that the mussels attach to when the tide is high. When it goes back down, the water disappears, the mussels remain and the fishermen harvest the mussels (at least that’s what I understood from our French guide). Oh, so random-our guide found a marijuana leaf floating in the water! I will post a picture!
We were exhausted and very hungry by the time we walked back to the buses. We arrived at Mont-Saint-Michel after a short break for lunch in a cute little town about 20 minutes from our destination. Lunch in France is so fun- typically, sandwiches on WHOLE baguettes. My sandwich was so delicious. I am way too in love with the bread here…not good. We arrived at Mt. St. Michel and it was absolutely stunning. I still can’t believe that its history dates back to the year 708. It was so neat to walk through the walls of such an amazing place and literally feel the history that exists within its walls. The amount of staircases throughout Mt. St. Michel is insane, definitely a great workout to climb to the top! We explored the many cathedrals and chapels that exist within its walls. One room was more amazing than the next. Our guide explained to us the history of each room, although I was so preoccupied with the extraordinary architecture to fully pay attention. I took many pictures (including a few dorky “solo shots.” I just really want to remember what it felt like to be there!)
By the time we got back to Rennes, everyone was super exhausted. Sarah and I made our way back to Chantepie to shower and change before heading back to the city to meet up with the other students. Sarah’s host dad Jean-Paul drove us to the Metro station. (The buses stop leaving Chantepie at 8:00 pm on Saturday nights…???) Jean-Paul is too funny. He has hearing aids, so not only does he not understand our French because of our heavy American accents, but he also has a great deal of trouble hearing us. Example #1- Sarah had dinner with Jean-Paul the other night and was trying to explain a movie to him. She went on and on, providing as many details as she could. After several minutes he said, “Ah, tu vas au Mexique?” (You are going to Mexico?) The movie Sarah was trying to explain had absolutely nothing to do with Mexico… Example #2- last night I asked Jean-Paul if he had any recommendations for restaurants in Rennes because Sarah and I were going to eat a late dinner last night. He responded, “Sorry, but I can’t join you guys for dinner tonight.” Haha too funny.
Sarah and I had a delicious dinner at a little café in Rennes and enjoyed some amazing desserts as well. After, we met up with some Villanova students at a bar down the street. We had a great time, laughing about all of the stupid things we have said or done since we have been here. The last bus leaves Rennes at 12:30 am on Saturday nights, so Sarah and I got on a Metro with some other Villanova students around 12:15. I was SO tired when I got home...fell asleep the second my head hit the pillow. Today, Sarah and I went and got some (delicious) pastries for breakfast and worked on some homework. Oh—btw, my host mom just made me a late lunch/early dinner. Probably the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. It was some type of sausage, but it tasted like fat and I could see little pieces of organs in it. Seriously, so nasty. I had to eat each bite with some rice and bread and concentrate on not letting myself gag. Awful. I was going to see a movie with my host mom tonight, but I need to write a paper for tomorrow…better get working on that! Mucho love.
No comments:
Post a Comment