Sunday, July 12, 2009

weekend in a nutshell

I will attempt to cram my wonderful weekend into a few words. I am very tired and want to try to get to bed asap.

My weekend was awesome. So much fun. I got to sleep in on Saturday, which is always the best. I went to the market in Rennes with Patricia. It was absolutely fantastic- the largest outdoor market in the country. I bought some flat peaches. I have never seen anything like them before, but they were fabulous. All of the flowers, fruit and vegetables were a dream come true for me. I could have done without seeing the live lobsters and skinned rabbits though. Yuck.

I met up with some friends at Thabor- the amazing park in Rennes. We had a picnic and just hung out around the gardens for a lot of the afternoon. After, we stopped at an art museum. It only cost a euro to get in…which should have indicated the type of art we were going to see! Okay, so maybe I am being a little harsh. Let’s just say, it was no Art Institute of Chicago. Regardless, we had a blast. And at least got to see a few pieces of good art.

After the museum Serena, Sarah and I went and got some galettes for a late lunch. YUM. Galettes are like crepes, except they are eaten as a meal. I got a galette with potatoes, onions, cheese and ham. It was so delicious. After our lunch, I headed home. Did some pilates and packed my bag to spend the night at my friend Kathleen’s house.

After dinner last night, Sarah and I met Kathleen at her house. Her mom was so sweet- set up beds for us and everything. Her house was so French too. I loved it! I went with some girls to a little café for the evening- they had over 30 flavors of hot chocolate! We ended up staying until after midnight…at which point we came to the conclusion that we had probably overstayed our visit and decided to leave. On our way back to Kathleen’s, we walked through the center of the city. They had a movie projected on a huge screen and there were SO many people outside watching it. It was so awesome. Totally wish we had known about it.

This morning, Sarah and I headed back from Kathleen’s pretty early. My host mom and I decided against the spa. Sarah and Serena didn’t want to go anymore and my host mom was really doing it for us girls. I decided that I should go for a run- as I have probably eaten half of my body weight in carbs in the past week. We ate a delicious lunch together and then left for the rest of the day. I really had no idea where we were going…I didn’t really ask. We stopped at Esmerelda’s house for a little bit. Joe was still sleeping (at 2:00!). Esmerelda, Patricia and I left around 2:15. An hour later = heaven. Come to find out, Patricia and Esmerelda wanted to take me to this amazing town on the coast- Dinard. It is really close to where our group is staying in between our stay in Rennes and Paris. I am so so so sad I did not have my camera. The pictures I took on my cell phone just don’t do it justice! It really was one of the most beautiful places- huge cliffs over the ocean with old buildings built into them. We walked around for a couple hours and then stopped to eat some AMAZING ice cream. Really, it was probably some of the best ice cream I have ever had.

On the way home, we stopped for a short while at Patricia and Esmerelda’s friend’s house in the country. I was exhausted, so trying to take part in their conversations was quite difficult! Patricia and I didn’t get home until around 8:45. We just finished dinner- pasta with cream sauce and a raw egg yolk cracked on top? It was surprisingly good considering I don’t even eat egg yolks when they are cooked!

Love to the moon and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment